Scrooge always obeying the law??

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at alumni.princeton.edu
Mon Jan 19 11:08:38 CET 2004

LARRY:

> But isn't he
> also keeping it secret from the authorities of the country where he
> found it (Turkey or Greece?)?  Isn't Scrooge in this story engaged in
> smuggling?

In other stories, Scrooge gets (or plans to get) into some kind of agreement
with the local government, so that he can keep part of what he found (e.g., in
the philosopher's stone story). This may make it sound that he is obeying the
law, but I can't help thinking that this is a euphemism for *bribing* the
government to turn a blind eye, as such an agreement would be illegal. E.g.,
all that archaeologists excavating in Greece are allowed is the right of first
publication; anything they find belongs to Greece.

	Kriton.
-----
"One does not wish to be devoured by alien monstrosities, even in the cause of
  political progress!"
-----

--
	Kriton.