About Daisy

Matthew Williams kingofduckburg at apptechnc.net
Sat Jan 24 02:42:42 CET 2004

I've thoroughly enjoyed what folks have had to say about Daisy, and I've
been disappointed that the thread hasn't drawn more attention.  IMHO, I
think Daisy ISN'T a very satisfying character most of the time.  Even though
she's been around since 1937, she still hasn't rested into one consistent
characterization.  We have Donna Duck in "Don Donald" who has a temperament
that's probably fierier than Donald's.  We have the collection of sexist
stereotypes that is Barks's Daisy (pardon my arrogance for knocking the
greatest duck writer of all time, but his vision of Daisy isn't
exactly.progressive).  On the other hand, the Daisy's Diary stories present
a varying Daisy that sometimes passively takes in the world around her but
occasionally comes off a satisfying adult character.  There's the
self-involved Daisy from House of Mouse (I hate the show with a passion but
Daisy's character on the show is sort of interesting).  My memory of the
disappointing Quack Pack is dim, but wasn't Daisy a highly motivated TV
journalist and career woman on that show?  I think Daisy is the only big
Disney character who has almost no nailed down characterization.  Who she is
is very reflective of her time period and the writers or artists who are
working with her.

Daisy has her moments, even though her character has so many diverse
incarnations!  Some of my favorite Daisy moments (in no particular order)
are.

*The Donald short cartoon, "Donald's Dilemma."  She's a strongly
identifiable character here, and I love when she shouts "ME!  ME!  ME!"
*The Donald short cartoon, "Daisy's Diary."  She is a really sexist
stereotype there, but she is awful funny.  I love how she looks after the
honeymoon is over!  I love all of the sailors outside of the chapel too!
*The Blocks' "Three Little Cupids."  Daisy's a perfect match for Donald in
this story!  She actually has a tangible personality that isn't an
unrealistic superwoman or a sexist stereotype.
*Van Horn's "Heavy Duty."  I love the unwitting destruction she wreaks on
Donald in this story.
*Janet Gilbert's "Night Shift."  Daisy's a realistic, psychologically
satisfying character in a very absurd situation.  This story really tickled
me!

Well, that's what I think anyway!

Matt