Credits

Chris Hilbig chilbig1 at satx.rr.com
Sat Jun 12 14:52:39 CEST 2004

   The whole credit or last there of issue starts back with the Mickey
Mouse comic strip 1940's. (My source is MM in Color from Another
Rainbow Pub.) According to Floyd Gottfredson, Walt Disney proposed to
King Features Syndicate the idea of allowing creators to sign their
names to the strips. King Features were absolutely opposed to this
arguing that one of the biggest selling points of Disney syndicated
products was the name "Walt Disney" and the illusion of fans that Walt
did all that work himself. :P  In addition an unknown name would dilute
the sales value of those products. Besides that, Walt himself became
just as much as a celebrity as Mickey Mouse.

   With the lack of information and communication, marketing wise it
made sense to use the Walt Disney's signature and to not credit the
actual creators. Back then we didn't have INDUCKS or people with the
curiosity to go behind the scenes and report what they find to
information hungry fans.

   This leads me to believe that Disney and publishers have carried this
on as a tradition/policy every since. Young children aside,  I think
it's good that Egmont and other publishers give due credit to creators
today. How editors plan to do so certainly depends a pond to targeted
age group. I think that it's great in this day and age that kids can
still be kids and can still believe in Santa Clause or even Uncle
Donald Duck

Chris Hilbig