Credits and credibility

Michiel Prior M.J.Prior at let.rug.nl
Mon Jun 14 17:22:57 CEST 2004

I don't think that printing credits in a comic magazine would stop
children from sending letters to Uncle Donald as if he was a real life
existing person.

Proof: credits are printed at a prominent place on the first page of
every story of the Dutch version of "W.I.T.C.H. magazine" and this
doesn't keep the readers from sending letters to the main characters
Will, Irma, Taranee, Cornelia and Hay-Lin. [Yay!]

More proof: other Dutch (non-Disney) magazines *did* print credits
to their comics and still got letters adressed to the main characters.
[I'm thinking of Ollie Olifant in "Okki" and Eppo in "Eppo". I read
"Okki" when I was six or seven years old and I thought of Ollie as a
real life existing character. And yet I knew full well that his comics
were drawn by Marjorie van Doorn.]

So, I don't see why giving credit would confuse the kids or destroy
Donald's credibility.

Furthermore: even if large amounts of readers aren't interested in
that kind of information, I still don't see why it would bother them to
get it. They still can skip it or look over it, don't they? Is it a very big
effort to print one or two names under the first page of each story?
It would be nice for the fans who *do* care, interesting for the people
that didn't yet know they were interested and I think it would please
the artists.