(no subject)

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Wed Mar 10 09:17:58 CET 2004

I don't think the U.S. dimes (10 cent pieces) were 100% silver even in 1875.  I
believe they were an alloy of silver and nickel.  I believe the 3 cent piece
inthe early 1860s was pure silver, or almost pure.  It was too soft, and the
markings wore down too fast. The later, (early to mid 1900s) dimes became more
and more nickel (I believe eventually just nickel, with a little copper and tin.
Silver tarnishes quite differently from silver/nickel alloys and nickel/copper
alloys. The different pure coins and alloys sound quite different when bounced
on the street pavement or a wood floor, as well.  Originally U.S. "Silver
Dollars" were 100% Silver. But, I believe even
they changed to alloys in the early
1900s.