is the letter (from home) J in the latin alphabet ?

H.W.Fluks@telecom.tno.nl H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl
Thu Mar 18 16:02:44 CET 2004

Nat Chrenshaw:

> http://www.du.edu/~etuttle/classics/latalph.htm

> The latin alphabet of 23 letters [..] The
> letters J, U, and W of the modern alphabet were added in
> medieval times, and did not appear in the classical alphabet,
> except that J
> and U could be alternative forms for I and V.

> After reading a bit more on the site it seems like by writing
> "medieval times" they mean somewhere around the 11th century,
> which doesn't make it a bit less confusing...
> Could somebody help clear this out...?

What part is unclear?

The classic Latin alphabet had 23 letters. In writing, I could look like a J, and U could look like a V (depending on the habits and moods of the writers).

In the middle ages = medieval times = 11th century, the writers (who still wrote in a form of Latin) decided to use I and J for different purposes, and likewise U and V. And they decided to add W as a separate letter. So from then on they had 26 letters.

--Harry.

Harry Fluks  --  TNO Telecom  --  Delft  --   Nederland
h.w.fluks at telecom.tno.nl   --   http://dd50.inducks.org
"Wie ben ik? Wat doe ik hier? Waar is mijn Roddelflop?"