Center of the Earth

Søren Krarup Olesen raptus at stofanet.dk
Sat Mar 20 03:29:52 CET 2004

THERESA:

> The further down you dig yourself, the smaller the earth-'ball' that
> creates a gravity on you gets. THe mass that is above you, a 'shell' of
> earth, wouldn't affect you.

Why?

> So the downwards pull of gravity gets less and less, until in the middle
> you'd be weightless.

If the gravity arises from mass only, you'd certainly be affected by
those upper shells as well, in other words, you'd experience
weightlessness long before you reach the middle of the Earth.

All this reminds me of a beautiful P. L. de Vita story, where Scrooge
finds the biggest gold occurrence in ze world.

Søren