Center of the Earth, Vol. 2 [OT]

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Sat Mar 20 13:47:31 CET 2004

På Sat, 20 Mar 2004 04:12:28 +0100, skrev Søren Krarup Olesen
<raptus at stofanet.dk>:

> Oops, I forgot the symmetry. Clearly at the absolute center of Earth all
> forces are equally distributed in all direction, hence the gravity must
> equal zero. Still those "shells" you mention do have an influence.

Hm... But what if we drill a huge hole down into the center of the earth
using some universal solvent - that would mean that somewhere in that shell
there would be a large hole all the way to the outside. So, would there be
gravity in that direction? If not, shouldn't you be pulled in the OPPOSITE
direction from the hole?

I don't know, I'm only guessing.

--
Olaf Solstrand