DCML Digest Issue 23

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sun Mar 21 14:06:43 CET 2004

> From: Olaf Solstrand <olaf at andebyonline.com>
> Subject: Re: Center of the Earth, Vol. 2 [OT]
> Hm... But what if we drill a huge hole down into the center of the earth
> using some universal solvent - that would mean that somewhere in
> that shell
> there would be a large hole all the way to the outside. So, would
> there be
> gravity in that direction? If not, shouldn't you be pulled in the
> OPPOSITE
> direction from the hole?

Maybe if you drilled a HUGE hole, say, about 500 or 1000 miles in diameter,
there would be slightly less gravity-due-to-mass pulling up in the direction
of that large missing section of planet. (Though before that happened, the
drastic shift in the earth's mass and molten nature of the disrupted mantle
would tear the planet apart, or all surface life would perish for any number
of other reasons such as the earth's atmosphere being sucked down into that
vast cavity.)
But a hole just about 10 or 15 feet wide would be less than negligible.