Barks reprints in Germany

Frank Bubacz frankbubacz at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 22 21:25:43 CET 2004

Harry:

>So you're saying they did NOT print too much Barks in Germany?
>But the Germans had several Barks series: Tollsten Geschichten
>("Sonderheft"), Bound volumes of > the Tollsten Geschichten, Besten
>Geschichten, Hard-cover reprints of the Besten Geschichten, Barks Library.
>With all these series, I wouldn't need yet-another-one, if I were German.

I probably wanted to say that I personally can't get enough of Barks...  :-)

You're right, of course, hence my mention of the business point of view.
Still, as much Barks as we got, not everything seemed to be perfect to me,
e.g. for the German Barks Library I would have preferred the revised / new
translations by Erika Fuchs (from Tollsten Geschichten), because they are
usually more polished and often funnier ("Mich dürstet unsäglich nach Rache"
vs. "Wenn Kinder sich so zügellos benehmen, muß der Erziehungsberechtigte
einschreiten").

Besides, there's still some material I'd love to see in album / graphic
novel form (not necessarily Hall of Fame, rather additional Barks Library
volumes):

- the original Barks-inked version of In Darkest Africa
- the uncensored version of Voodoo Hoodoo
- the Vicar version of Go Slowly, Sands Of Time
- Hang Gliders Be Hanged
- Somewhere in Nowhere
- From Dime To Dime aka Dime And Dime Again
- Powerplay on Killmotor Hill (which has yet to be published anywhere, I
think)
- Race for the Golden Apples (if it ever sees the light of day)
- the Jippes version of Eagle Savers
- the Jippes version of Hound Of The Moaning Hills
- the Jippes version of Be Leery of Lake Eerie
- the Jippes version of New Zoo Brews Ado
- possible future Jippes versions of Barks' Junior Woodchucks stories
- oh yes, and Pluto Saves The Ship!

Can't please 'em all, I guess...

Frank