???

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Wed Mar 24 01:32:48 CET 2004

From: Cord Wiljes (cord at wiljes.de)
Subject: AW: Yo Ho Ho
 >>>I do not think they would be squished by air pressure. That's
because the high density air would also fill their lungs from the
inside which would counteract the pressure from the outside.
Which is why fishes are not squished even thousands of meters
below the surface and why deep sea divers have to add pressure
as they go down.

Let me make sure you know what you're saying here! Deep sea divers withstand
pressures of water a hundred feet deep. Those fish you mention (which
explode if brought to the surface since they are designed to ONLY exist at
depths of "thousands of meters") are, as you say "thousands of meters" under
water ... perhaps a mere few miles. Are you comparing that to being under a
column of air *8,000 MILES TALL*?! Forget if the super-duper-mega-hyper air
pressure was in a person's lungs... what about his eardrums? What about his
ability to try to breathe (only Clark Kent would have the lung muscles)?
What about his eyebulbs and his liquid-filled veins and the honeycombed
bones.... can you even conceive of the pressure that an 8,000 mile tall
column of air would exert on something, anything, much less a living thing?
I think not. It boggles the mind.