June 2004 US Disney Comic Previews

ZeldasTriforce@aol.com ZeldasTriforce at aol.com
Fri Mar 26 02:39:22 CET 2004

Hi all!

Here are the previews of Disney comics coming out in June 2004 from Previews
Volume XIV #4.

Donald Duck and Friends #317--- In "Not Distant Enough" Donald tries to solve
the mystery of an Easter Island-like statue he unearths in his backyard.
Mickey tries to make a better dog out of Pluto in "Mascot Training." And Donald
takes a job in a clock store in "A Duck in the Works." FC, 32 pages $2.95.

Walt Disney's Vacation Parade #1--- A holiday special featuring Mickey,
Donald, and Grandma Duck! The wraparound cover is a recreation of the original
Christmas Parade(I assume this is a mistake) #1 cover, restored by Rick Keene. The
interior consists of three vintage Carl Barks stories from the original
issue: "Vacation Time," "Camp Counselor," and "Donald's Grandma Duck," as well as
"The Monster Whale," Paul Murry's first Mickey Mouse adventure. Prestige
Format. SC, 7x10, 80 pages, FC $8.95(With a price tag like this, I'm glad Gemstone
only celebrates two holidays a year. ;)

Mickey Mouse and Friends #266--- Mickey tries to foil a plan to steal an
entire amusement park in "The Fastest Place on Earth." Donald and Gladstone face
off on the latest reality show in "Terror at Talbot Bay." Two short stories
featuring Horace Horsecollar and Goofy, respectively, wrap the book. FC, 32 pages
$2.95

Uncle Scrooge #331--- Scrooge's plans to make his Money Bin a sovereign
nation backfire in "His Majesty, McDuck," a classic Don Rosa reprint. Then Daan
Jippes serves up his latest recreation of a Barks-scripted Junior Woodchucks
story, "Wailing Whalers." A Grandma Duck and an Uncle Scrooge short wrap the book.
Prestige Format. SC, 7x10, 64 pages, FC $6.95

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #646--- A new cover by William Van Horn
commemorates Donald's birthday. Inside, Donald's cranky until he accidently
inhales laughing gas, in "Just For Laughs," Van Horn's latest. Carl Barks' first
Donald 10-pager, "Victory Garden," as well as short stories featuring Mickey,
Daisy, Junior Woodchucks, and Big Bad Wolf round out the book. Prestige Format.
SC, 7x10, 64 pages, FC, $6.95.

Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse--- This Disney anthology book is a holiday special
featuring Mickey, Donald and Grandma Duck(Wow! Never knew there were so many
Grandma stories). The cover and lead story are reprinted from Mickey Mouse
Four Color #79: "Riddle of the Red Hat." This was Carl Barks' one and only Mickey
adventure! Also included is "The Second Richest Duck," Barks' introduction of
Flintheart Glomgold from Uncle Scrooge #15. FC, 32 pages FREE(the best price
;)

The last title is Gemstone's contribution to Free Comic Book Day if the price
didn't tip you off. Looks like a worthy successor to last year's "Mahajarah
Donald." I've read the Flintheart story, but it's free so I can't complain
about that part.

Referring to WDC #646, I hope the Bucky Bug stories continue to show up in
that title often.

All in all, a couple of reprint stories I've already read, but almost all new
to me. Looks like a nice month. I wonder when we'll start seeing Romano
Scarpa stories(particularly ones that have never been shown in the US). Gemstone
will surely run out of Don Rosa stories to re-reprint at some point. ;) (Though
I've never read "His Majesty, McDuck", so that's a reprint I'm looking forward
to).

BTW, my compliments to Gemstone on their reprint of "The Tuckered Tiger" in
US #328. You can tell the source for the reprint was straight out of the CBL,
which I guess is why it looks so crisp compared to a couple of their Barks'
reprints of the past year.

Okay, I'll end this message before it turns into a book!

Derek Smith