Old vs. New

JTorci3511@aol.com JTorci3511 at aol.com
Thu May 13 12:24:48 CEST 2004

Among the comments on DCML, I see this:

"I think it's great that the emphasis is on new stories, but kids deserve to see what we read in the past without paying  $6.95 for the prestige book."

It simply amazes me as to why someone would feel this way.  Given the vast number of sales over the Internet, not to mention good old comic shows and conventions (...lesser and lesser thanks to the success of Internet sales), the older stories and issues are MORE READILY AVAILABLE for anyone to sample than ever before!

And, older Barks issues aside, virtually all are reasonably priced, especially relative to today's new comics prices.

Everyone who knows anything about me knows that I am second to none in my love and appreciation of those older stories by Strobl, Murry, etc... BUT there would seem to be a "lifetime's worth" of duck, mouse, etc. stories that we Americans have never seen.  So, why should Gemstone's precious page space be used to repeat available works of the past?

DC Comics does not reprint old Mort Weisinger era stories in SUPERMAN, nor does it run Julius Schwartz edited stories in GREEN LANTERN.  For better (...or sometimes worse), DC continues to break new ground in its periodical titles.  Why would we ask differently of Gemstone?

Joe Torcivia.