DCML Digest Issue 14

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Thu Oct 14 08:03:57 CEST 2004

> From: "timo ronkainen" <timoro at hotmail.com>
> Subject: RE: DCML Digest Issue 13
> But that seems to be Disney policy. If one have had
> payment once, there is no way to get any other compensation concerning
> reprints and such.

In reference to texts, photos, non-Disney art, etc. (which is what we're
referring to here?),  often it us material that I have not even paid once.
It's just taken wherever it might be found and published without consent.
Again, a good example is the Italian PAPERDINASTERIA book that lifted a
great deal of material from hither and yon, and then other "Lo$" editions
around the world used whatever *that* book used.

> It's another issue if they take some text from, let's
> say, someone's homepage or non-Disney magazine article, even though it is
> about D-comics. Have this happened then sometimes?

Oh, YES! Text *and* non-Disney art. Frequently.

> From: Larry Giver <lgiver at pacbell.net>
> Subject: Second-biggest frog
>      In Rosa's Kalevala story, Donald Duck's question in
> the splash panel, page 27, panel 1, was not answered.
> A Helsinki resident called Iku-Turso the second-biggest
> frog he'd ever seen.  Donald asked him, "only second
> biggest?"  But Donald had urgent matters to attend to,
> and couldn't wait for the Helsinki resident to explain
> what bigger 'frog' he'd seen before.
>       So does anyone know what Don Rosa (as expressed
> by this Helsinki resident) was thinking of?

I might.
Didn't you ever watch "Get Smart!"?
"Chief, that's the second-biggest arrow I've ever seen."
"Second-biggest, Max? What was --* "
"C'mon, 99, let's hurry to see about..." etc.