King Scrooge the First! (Re: Jippes news)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Wed Sep 15 13:02:35 CEST 2004

LARS JENSEN to HARRY FLUKS, 14-09-2004:

>> Yay! King Scrooge the First! Can't wait to see it!

> I can.

I can't. I have waited long enough for a redrawn "Barksian" version
of this story. (US 71) More than ten years, to be exactly!

Ulrich Schröder intended to redraw the story. Of that project, only
a half page of an alternate scene appeared, as part of an article in
The Carl Barks Library, set 5, page 8.
http://www.seriesam.com/barks/comicsvarbl.html#ccus_vrbl_cbl05-008

According to Geoffrey Blum in the article, the story must have been
changed by the editor. Reading his theory, I have doubts about that.
I think Barks might just have "censored" the story himself, during
the process of creating it. I've written a brief investigation, which
can be found at:
http://www.seriesam.com/barks/deta_text_s_king_scrooge_scripts.html
Please let me know what you think of it, especially if you think I'm
wrong.

However, if I'm RIGHT with my doubts about Blum's theory, then I hope
Jippes has just followed the published story, as drawn by Tony Strobl.
Barks' pencil script of the story is (still?) lost.

BTW. Note that "King Scrooge the First" is NOT a retirement story.
Barks worked on it BEFORE his retirement. According to Barks notes
of 1989, he didn't want the long grind of drawing the story to run
him into overtime. So, he got no further than laying out the pages
in rough pencil sketches. (This information also is from the
aforementioned CBL article.)

--- Daniël

"Donald, old boy, will you mind the store a little while?
I feel the need for some EXERCISE!"

Which Barks story? :-)