AW: Stats

Cord Wiljes cord.wiljes at animagic.com
Tue Apr 19 14:26:35 CEST 2005

Timo wrote:

> Photographs were processed using dotted "ben day" screens
> layed over the photographic paper, to make them printable.

I always wondered how these dot screens were created before the advent
of the computer.

I know in b/w comics there are cels with different pre-printed dot
screens, which can simply be rubbed over the artwork by the artist. They
become part of the linework.

But how did the printer create the colors from just three primary colors
by mixing little dots of varying sizes? Comics were not colored back
then but instead a number was written into the artwork which represented
a color of the (very limited) color spectrum. Was there a special
apparatus involved to translate this into color grids? Or was this done
manually by the printer?

Did Barks write the color codes to his comics himself? Or who else
colored the Barks ducks?

Is there a list of the color codes used back then - with a translation
into current RGB/CMYK?

Did the color codes of the original printing survive? Or could they be
recreated from the printed books?

Were all original Barks comics printed at one printing house? If not: Do
copies of the same run differe slightly? Did different printing houses
use different color codes?

Has there ever been some academic approach to chronicle the history of
(comics) printing? Are there museums where photostat cameras are
preserved?

Cord