Barks' Christmas stories

Elaine Ramshaw elaine1 at snet.net
Sat Aug 20 03:32:49 CEST 2005

I'm trying to compile for myself a complete list of Barks' Christmas
stories. I'll list in this message the ones I have identified, and if anyone
is so moved, they can check to see whether I'm missing anything. Thanks! I
don't have the complete set of WDCS 10-pagers, so I'm particularly curious
about 232 "Under the Polar Ice" and 244 "Missile Fizzle," since those were
December (cover date January) stories I haven't seen. Does either of those
mention Christmas? (Incidentally, I'm aware that Rosa included 196 "Statues
of Limitations" in his composite Barks-Christmas-in-the-50's pin-up, and it
was a December story and does have a Shacktownesque feel to it, but I left
it off because it doesn't say it's set at Christmas--though Donald does use
"plastic Christmas tree frost" to make his sponge statue look snowy.) I'm
only including stories written as well as drawn by Barks. (But I'm curious:
do any of the JW stories mention Christmas?)

Firestone Give-aways (1945-49): Donald Duck's Best Christmas, Santa's Stormy
Visit, Three Good Little Ducks, Toyland (rescripted by Barks), New Toys

Christmas on Bear Mountain (Dec 1947, DDFC 178)

The Golden Christmas Tree (1948, DDFC 203)

Letter to Santa (1949, Christmas Parade 1)

You Can't Guess! (1950, Christmas Parade 2)

A Christmas for Shacktown (Jan 1952, DDFC 367)

Gladstone's Usual Very Good Year (Jan 1952, WDCS 136)

Turkey with All the Schemings (Jan 1953, WDCS 148)

The Hammy Camel (Jan 1954, WDCS 160)

Search for the Cuspidoria (Jan 1955, WDCS 172)

Three Un-Ducks (Jan 1956, WDCS 184)

Grandma's Present (Dec 1956, Christmas Parade 8)

The Black Pearls of Tabu Yama (Christmas in Disneyland 1)

The Code of Duckburg (Jan 1958, WDCS 208)

Weemite (Jan 1959, WDCS 220)

Northeaster on Cape Quack (Jan 1962, WDCS 256)

Christmas Cheers (Jan 1963, WDCS 268)

Double Masquerade (Jan 1964, WDCS 280)