Public reply to Don Rosa

Kai Saarto ksaarto at mbnet.fi
Mon Feb 7 11:08:41 CET 2005

Daniel van Eijmeren wrote:

>As a proof that I won't ignore you, as you thought. I finally want to
>reply the four unasked emails that you sent me about four years ago.
>
>I still feel the heart-beat in my throat. Literally. I am really very,
>very scared of you, your friend Dan Shane, other friends, and many of
>your fans. No matter what I try. I can't ignore this fear any longer.
>Everytime I see your work I'm remembered of your abuse of my identity
>and my life on the internet.

Dear Daniel,

It seems that at least the bit (that you quoted) where Don said "you are
your own worst enemy" rings true. Nobody tries to destroy you or  your
"life in the internet". I have no idea what REALLY started this every
now and then surfacing discussion about how Don has wronged you. Maybe
one could find out by searching the archives. Maybe it was some honest
misunderstanding due to language barrier. Maybe you insulted
accidentally Don or vice versa.

Anyway, it seems that you are really troubled with all this. If you
think that making some 4 years old private messages public will somehow
make you feel better, I guess you will be disappointed. There really
isn´t anything in Don´s messages that would make him sound like he is
blackmailing you.  Many of us fans of Don have probably called you names
and been much nastier towards you that Don. In the instance you
mentioned it seems like Don was defending his friend, the other Dan. You
don´t seem to be traumatized by anything we others have replied to you,
since you always keep referring to Don as source of your hurt feelings.
It really sounds like you just want attention, really badly. How else
does one explain your need to make every discussion about Don public?
I´ve sometimes tried to discuss these things with you in private and in
a really friendly way. You refused to talk any of those issues in
private mail, and urged me to mail them here, in public. Why? Do you
thing that all the disney professionals here want to read this crapola
you and I are writing?  You said you don´t have time for private mails.
Sounds like you want attention more than to talk to about the issues.

Don seems to be largely ignoring you, so I suggest you do the same. If
you have really been living in fear for the last four years, I am really
sorry for you. I suggest you talk with someone about this, someone who´s
trained to help. This is starting to sound like a real problem for you.
By all the evidence you´ve showed us so far, it only looks to us that
you are deeply troubled man. If you are trying to make Don look like a
villain, you´re not simply succeeding. And it is not because most of us
are fans of Don, its simply because you are making personal attacks that
seem to be most unwarranted. Nothing you show us really makes us wonder
about Don´s character. You are simply hurting yourself, and I just can´t
see why you want to do that.

Since you have good archives of your old mail, maybe you could do us all
a huge favor and tell us why you´re _really_ doing this? I´ve seen some
of  your first  messages from 1994 (googled a bit) that Harry send in
your behalf. You were really polite and asked Don good questions and
behaved real nice. It would be really brave if you could go and see
where all this bad blood started. What was the first message that made
you attack/defend? What started all this? I do not think that this forum
is a place for such a thing, but if it would stop this nonsense, at
least I wouldn´t mind. Don is my friend and I trust his character enough
to dare you to show anything that would make me change my opinion about
him. And this time you could do it with more courage and show your own
messages also. This time you just showed what Don wrote, not what made
him to write you. Be a man and face yourself too. You seem to be smart
enough, so stop these games and address the real issue.

And do not fear, we are not your enemies. Nobody is thinking about
hurting you. You´re the one hurting yourself. You just have to open your
eyes and see that you´re not doing yourself any favors with this kind of
behavior.