re Shakespeare & Barks

Nils Lid Hjort nils at math.uio.no
Sun May 29 13:38:18 CEST 2005

<<I am about to write a text about the
use of Shakespeare in Disney comics and
I was wondering if you all could help
me dig up some examples. >>

Since it's within arm's length in my office:

<< The witch Hazel quotes from Shakespeare
(MacBeth, Act IV), is assisted by a
creature mentioned in awe and fright
as early as in Matth. 12:24, and conjures
into existence Smorgasbord himself. This proved
too strong for the publishers of "Trick or Treat"
in 1952. >>

>From my preface to "De komplette årganger"
(the complete year-by-year editions) 1952.

Otherwise there might be various expressions
uttered & heard in Duckburg & Mousetown that
originate with Shakespeare. The phrase "I smell
a rat" is sometimes attributed to him, for example
(but I believe it's used by both Luther and
Cervantes).

Nils Lid Hjort