Prices

The Fenske's dbfenske at telus.net
Sat Nov 5 19:00:06 CET 2005

My $0.02 worth on the price issue.

First cent: when I visit my local comic specialty shop, and browse a
bit, it is clear that most comics are still the 32 page standard size
that sell (in Canada, where I happen to reside) for $3.50 - $4.50,
depending on  title and other factors.  If you're talking the Japanese
manga comics, then you've got those thick little books that are quite
pricey.  But I can't think of many monthly prestige titles like the
Gemstone Disney's.  However, the regular Gemstones are still a little
higher priced than most regular comics.  The dealer who works at the
shop has commented on that.  He has trouble selling them for that reason.

2nd cent:  Perhaps the problem for some of isn't *totally* the high cost
of Gladstone's US and WDCS formats, which for me is close to $9 CDN.
It's the fact that I just don't think most of the material published is
worth it.  I'll be honest, I'm a bit of an elitist, and I find that, in
general, the only comic stories I enjoy are those by Carl Barks, Don
Rosa, and to a slightly lesser extend, William Van Horn.  If an issue
doesn't have a  Don Rosa story, or a classic Barks I don't already have,
then I just don't usually feel it's worth buying.  Most of the other
stories published are just not that interesting.  Even a new Van Horn
story, while usually enjoyable, isn't as strong a drawing card as Bill
is usually a pretty quick read.  His stories go by pretty fast.  Whereas
a new Rosa takes a while to go through, is written at an adult level of
entertainment, can be savoured and reread, is great great fun to look
at, and has the best developed sense of character for the ducks (aside
from Barks himself).  So there you have it.  If an issue has a new Rosa
and a Barks or Van Horn to boot, I'm in heaven.  If it has none of
these, I'd rather leave it on the shelf.

Now, that might change if the monthly comics were more in the $4-5
range.  But $18 a month for the two titles is just a bit much when you
have other expenses in life.  What I'd really like are Rosa-only issues
published periodically when enough stories are out to fill one - I'd buy
those every time.  But I can see there aren't enough new stories there
to make that economically viable.

For the record, up to lately I have bought most issues, to support the
industry and keep the Rosa stories coming, but financial circumstances
over the past year have made me rethink this long and hard.  Such is
life....

Dave Fenske