Comp copies

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Thu Nov 10 16:56:18 CET 2005

Cord:

> The main reason why publishers often do not send out free copies to
> authors is, I think,
>
> + NOT the cost of the book (absolutely negligible)

A more accurate phrase would be "relatively negligible", but you're
right, it's hardly the main reason.

> + NOT the shipping costs

These are more significant than the cost of the books, but still
relatively negligible.

>  + BUT RATHER: the amount of work necessary to keep track who actually
> are tho book's authors and where they live

The amount of work isn't all that onerous, to be honest. However...

> So the problem probably isn't money - but time. There has to be
> someone
> whose job description includes "send out author's copies". If there
> isn't no one will find the time to do it, even if everybody has good
> intentions.

There's the truth of it. There is no one whose job it is to send out
author's - or "comp" - copies. In fact, it's not required of anyone.
It is done as a courtesy, which means that 1) it's a good thing to
do, and should be done, but also 2) that it has no practical priority
in the workflow.

> I believe every publisher will send out one (or more) free author's
> copies if they are specifically asked for a certain book. But they may
> not find the time to do this automatically for every publication.

Perhaps not every publisher will necessarily do this, but I have yet
to hear of one that wouldn't, within reason.

> In the case of authors like Don Rosa or Vicar, whose works are
> published
> a lot by Ehapa here in Germany, I suppose Ehapa would rather be
> willing
> to send out *every* new German Disney publication to them. This may in
> fact be easier (and thereby cheaper) than trying to filter only those
> which contain stories by the respective author. It may not hurt to ask
> Ehapa for this.

Whether this is Ehapa's view or not, it is a pretty fair description
of a fairly common practice.

(You sure you don't have any special insights into publishing?)

Gary