Mouse Detective

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Fri Sep 16 22:33:31 CEST 2005

L. Schulte wrote:

> The discussion about detective stories reminded me of the animated
> Disney movie in the middle 1980's The Great Mouse Detective, which
> used the voice of the great Vincent Price for Rattigan, the villain in
> the story.  I have always thought this movie was underrated and
> under-appreciated.  The finale, in the gears of the clock Big Ben, has
> even been copied by Jackie Chan in Shanghai Knights.  If you do not
> know this movie, made before The Lion King, you are missing a very
> fine and funny piece of work.

Agreed. For some mind-boggling reason, this great movie seems to have
been forgotten by everyone. It's not perfect, and the animation is too
limited -- but in story content and in its ability to involve the
audience it was a *giant* step up from "The Fox and the Hound". ("The
Black Cauldron" was never shown in Danish movie theatres, so I've never
seen it and can't comment on it.) Disney should have made a "Great Mouse
Detective" TV series spin-off, like they did with "Aladdin" etc.

Lars