DCML *and* web forum? [was: Re: DCML or forum?]

Thomas Pryds Lauritsen pryds at duckburg.dk
Thu Apr 13 18:22:34 CEST 2006

I must say that if I were to choose, I'd keep the DCML a mailing list,
for many of the same reasons that have already been given here. But
mainly because, as much as I like various existing web forums, I also
simply forget to visit many of them regularly, which means that unread
messages pile up quickly. That's a main difference between the two
concepts: With web forums, I have to actively go visit some web page
again and again to keep up -- with a mailing list, the messages keep
rolling into a seperate folder in my mailbox by themselves.

But I was wondering: Wouldn't it be possible to add web forum features
to the DCML? This way, for people who like mailing lists, it would be
exactly the same mailing list as it has always been, and people who like
web forums better would be able to read and send messages from/to the
DCML via a web interface. I am afraid that if there are two main
discussion forums about Disney comics (mailing list and web forum), both
will suffer from it, and people will have to subscribe to both if they
don't want to miss anything.

I have done a quick Google search for web extensions to the "mailman"
software which is used by the DCML, but without finding anything useful.
However, if someone with the proper skills can offer some time, and
Per/NAFS(k) allow it, perhaps such an extension can be written and
implemented?

Thomas