Gemstone rumors or gossip?

deanmary deanmary at zoominternet.net
Tue Dec 5 17:57:05 CET 2006

Rich Johnston produces a weekly online column called "Lying in the Gutters".  In his words, "In its various forms, Lying In The Gutters has covered rumors and gossip in the comics industry for twelve long glorious and quite scary years."

In this weeks column: http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13
which was posted Monday afternoon he writes:

DUCK SEASON ENDS
Gemstone have cancelled four of their ongoing Disney comics titles, and have let all their freelancers go "until things get better." A number are still owed thousands of dollars, and there has been uncertainty as to when they will be paid. Maybe February, "but we can't promise."

Rich gives one of three lights to each story.  Once again in his words, "All stories are sourced from well-connected individuals and checked with respective publisher representatives before publication. Mostly. The veracity of each story is judged by me and given a spotlight - Green is the most reliable, Amber means there's likely an interest involved or the likelihood isn't set and Red means even I can't quite bring myself to believe it."

For what it is worth, he gives the Gemstone story a yellow light.

Of course I don't have the slightest idea if what he has written is true.  I sincerely hope it is not!  Gary and/or David may likely not want to comment on this piece of gossip at all, and I don't blame they if don't.  *If* the story is true though, it sounds like things at Gemstone may be even worse than we thought.  Just thought people on the list would like to read this "info" whether true or not.  Let's just pray that all of this is nothing more than untrue gossip!