Hiawathan

Elaine Ramshaw elaine1 at snet.net
Wed Jul 5 02:02:25 CEST 2006

Dan, I can't read the first paragraph of Don's message in Hiawathan either;
but the second I can.

By the way, it isn't hard to

Write in rhythm, and the Song of

Hiawatha (Kalevala

If you're European) is a-

Mong the simplest. Just in case you

Haven't noticed (or are used to

Other ways of reading English)

I've been using Hiawatha

Rhythm this entire message.

Anyway, thanks much to Nils for a most informative and interesting response.
And thanks to Don Markstein for the link to his article. It doesn't answer
my question about whether Gladstone actually got permission to print
Wendigo, but it does legitimate my entertaining the question.

And while I'm writing to you, Don--here's a thank-you note for your work.
There are only about a dozen comic stories that I read and re-read that are
not written by either Barks or Rosa. Two of those dozen are your "King of
the Bungaloos" (WDC 635) and "Surefoot Jones" (MMF 261). Also, the line
about picking the microchips out of the squirrels' fur in "The Hot Seat" (U$
284) is on my Funniest Lines Ever list. As someone whose parents raised her
on Gilbert & Sullivan, I'm also quite fond of "Three little birds from jail
are we" in "Ten-Penny Opera" (U$&DD 1).

Thanks also to those who have posted links to Amazon for future comics,
because that alerted me that I could get previews of the prestige comics for
the next six months by looking them up on Amazon.

Elaine