Dutch Zorro stories

M.J. Prior M.J.Prior at student.rug.nl
Thu Jul 20 14:40:12 CEST 2006

Niels Houlberg Hanssen:

> After they had been published every week for a year, they
> suddenly disappeared. Was there a Zorro "fever" in the
> Netherlands in 1964-1965? (Perhaps the late-1950s Disney
> Zorro series was broadcast in Dutch TV in those years?)

I don't know when Disney's Zorro TV series (1957-9) was
first broadcast in the Netherlands, but I know it's still
frequently repeated on Belgian TV. Zorro's always been
very popular, but to speak of a sudden Zorro "fever" in
1964-5 seems a bit overdone.

In fact, a Zorro comic appeared in the Dutch weekly "Pep"
from 1962 till 1968, and it was indeed inspired on
Disney's TV series. First, the magazine simply published
American Zorro stories (mostly by Alex Toth), but from
1964-5 "Pep" produced its own stories, drawn by the famous
Dutch artist Hans G. Kresse.

So the answer to your question seems to be: No, the Zorro
stories didn't suddenly appear and disappear, they were
merely a Dutch continuation of the American stories. But I
really don't know anything about why Hans Kresse stopped
drawing them. Your assumption that their apparition in the
weekly has something to do with the popularity of the TV
series seems a good one.

Here are some links (including one to Inducks, because the
link you provided was a bit messed-up):

http://users.fmg.uva.nl/pbakker/pep/zorro.html
http://lambiek.net/artists/k/kresse.htm
http://coa.inducks.org/comp2.php?lg=0&default_o=1&znl=on&xapp=ZOR