Questions for Don Rosa (Concerning Universal Solvent)

Robert Hutchings robertmhutchings at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 5 08:28:59 CEST 2006

Dear Jon,

Excellent points you brought up regarding the latest
Black Knight story. I had totally forgotten about that
paintbrush
perhaps it can be used again somehow. Where
on earth (or space) do you suppose it is, if not in
the vault formerly housing the suit of armor?

2B. Isnt there a possibility that the armor could
drift towards the sun and
totally extinguish it if the bike saucer is still on,
or would gravity keep
the bike saucer from escaping orbit? If the bike
saucer was powerful
enough to get that high up off the ground I'd imagine
that it may be able to
do just that...but perhaps I am overthinking it.

Nah, you’re not overthinking. That’s one of the great
things Mr. Rosa does with his stories—provoke
thoughts. That’s my view, anyway. And it’s a pretty
thought, too. The obvious out, of course, would be for
Mr. Rosa to do another story in which the Black Knight
recovers the armor before it ever gets that near the
sun (which obviously wouldn’t happen for quite
awhile). Certainly, Mr. Rosa’s protestations not
withstanding, the door is totally open for another
sequel. And then, if with that story he wants to be
done, he can kill the armor off Arthur Conan
Doyle-style and move on. (Whereupon us adoring fans
would clamor for an amazing revival!)

I also wondered if Arpin Lusene was willing to kill
Donald. He called it unsporting when Donald threatened
to knock him off his scooter and send him to the
center of the earth. I suppose one could say that no
captive who has a hostage is checkmated; therefore,
Mr. Lusene had to do something, and that was convince
all he was willing to do Donald in, whether he really
would have or not.

This all does make for great discussion. I second
that.

Robert Hutchings