Shrinking Tightwad, Delta Dimension and more!

David Gerstein ramapith at verizon.net
Thu Jun 29 08:41:38 CEST 2006

     Hey Victor (and Travis):

 >> I know that several panels were removed from the American version
of The
 >> Incredible Shrinking Tightwad.
 >> But why did Disney allow it to be published all over Europe?
 >> Don't they have any power over Egmont?
 >> Will the whole story ever be reprinted in USA?
 >
 > Funny you should ask... I believe you might be interested in
reserving a
 > copy of Uncle Scrooge #359! ;)
 >
 > Here's a link to Amazon's page for it: <*http://tinyurl.com/qaydv*
 > And
 > yes, it will have the original panels restored! As to why they
were removed
 > in the first place... Mr. Gerstein, care to take a stab at it?

     Sure thing, Mr. Seitler!

     The Disney staffers who approved the Gladstone publications in
1997 considered a few gags in the story to be too "unsanitary" for
younger readers. It's quite a stretch; we're talking about mild
business such as a Beagle Boy keeping prunes in his pocket.
Nevertheless, Gladstone had no choice but to delete the sequences at
the time.
     Flash forward nine years. A different group of Disney staffers
now approves the modern Gemstone comics; and while they do ask us to
alter certain stories, they quite sensibly see no problem with the
complete version of "Shrinking Tightwad." Readers have been
requesting it for one eternity, so here's our chance to give it to you.
     As for whether Disney has any control over Egmont: American
Disney publications and European Disney publications have
historically been approved by *different* groups of staffers within
Disney, with differing editorial tastes. So often one thing is
permitted in one publishing region and not in another.

     "The Incredible Shrinking Tightwad" isn't the only story we're
publishing due to reader requests, by the way. Our recent reprint of
Carl Barks' "Daringly Different" came as a response to Elaine
Ramshaw. This month, Floyd Gottfredson's "Love Trouble" begins in
WALT DISNEY'S COMICS AND STORIES 670, thanks to requests from Thad
Komorowski and Jonathan Gray.
     I'd be remiss if I didn't mention, also, that we're just two
months away from the epic Romano Scarpa story that *everybody* asks
for. More than 70 pages long, "Mickey Mouse in the Delta Dimension"
will be appearing in full in MICKEY MOUSE ADVENTURES 11. It's a
sequel to "Island in the Sky," Floyd Gottfredson's personal favorite
among his Mickey stories, and I like to imagine that Floyd would
consider it deserving of that special status. I do.

     Hmm, how about that Amazon link, Dr. Einmug?
     Thanks! Here we go: http://tinyurl.com/p2yzr

     Best, David