No subject

Thu Mar 23 15:47:28 CET 2006

Barks showedd DUCKBURG having embassies and consulates and an olympic team. He
also showed that Duckburg was located within (and under jurisdiction of)
Calisota (as the latter was also mentioned in the official address at the post
office).  To my knowledge, he NEVER showed Calisota or Duckburg being inside
some sort of U.S.A.!  Perhaps there is NO U.S.A. in Barks' parallel world. That
implies that Duckburg is a City-State (with a large surrounding territory of
rural lands subject to it), that is semi-independent of Calisota.  Perhaps
Calisota is some sort of confederation of small states? However, we must not
forget that Duckburg lies within Duck County, which is adjacent to Goose Egg
County, Squawbunion County, and probably Squash and Webfoot Counties.  Are all
of these political and jurisdictional states part of the Confederation of
Calisota?  If that is so, Duckburg would then be semi-independent of TWO LEVELS
of government. Such a situation of semi-independence might be analagous to
Scotland having its own parliament and fielding "national sports teams" while
under the jurisdiction of Great Britain; AND ALSO having Glasgow or Edinburg
(within Scotland) have their own olympics team, embassies and consulates!!!

For Cord:

Neither New York, nor Bremen have their own embassies or consulates, or olympic
teams.  I lived in Bremen for 5 years.  I do NOT remember seeing a foreign
embassy or us having an olympic team.  Bremen was a state within Germany. To my
knowledge, it has no international functions more than does Bayern, or any of
the other German states.
New York State is not the rural land subject to New York City!!! New York City
is not a City state.  When Nieuw Amsterdam was conquered from the Dutch by the
British, and finally ceded by treaty to Great Britain in 1672, the former Dutch
colony became a new British colony of New York.  This colony had a large
territorial claim (as boundaries were uncertain).  It did not coincide with the
city of Nieuw Amsterdam (now called New York). It was "state" sized.  The
boundaries of the State of New York today bear NO relation to the City of New
York. It is the COUNTY of New York, and the PORTION of the City of New York
that is located on Manhattan Island, that are contiguous.

For Harry, regarding the British slurs against their congenial (and
Great) "Dutch" neighbours:

Let us not forget their term "Dutch Uncle".  I have never been sure what is
meant by that.  Being an uncle of Netherlandic ("Dutch") origin, I am curious.
The meaning I have "understood" is: strict (severe) and cantankerous.  This
could have come from the Calvinist tradition of strictness.  Perhaps some of
our British or American members can enlighten us on the true meaning?

So, the British use "Dutch Treat" to call the Netherlanders cheap?  What would
you feel like in Britain, if you were half Dutch and half Scottish, and you
practised the Jewish religion? Would you make Uncle Scrooge seem like a
spendthrift?

Rob Klein