A nice Disney comics mention, a Gemstone question, and some comments

deanmary deanmary at zoominternet.net
Wed May 31 19:39:01 CEST 2006

Augie De Blieck Jr. was (is?) a member of the DCML and used to be a frequent letter column writer including many letters to Gladstone and Disney comics.  For the past several years he has had a weekly column at a very popular comics website called Comic Book Resources.  In this week's column, http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=6 , he spends a good bit of time saying some very positive things about the first DuckTales TPB, Uncle Scrooge #354 and Disney comics in general.  While Disney comics are discussed a lot in Europe, it is quite rare to have so much written on an American comics web site that is mostly about the typical superhero comics.

Augie discussed how much he liked the DuckTales volume and what great production values it has for such a very reasonable price.  I can't wait to get my copy with my monthly shipment of comics that should come later in the week!

Perhaps the best thing that he mentions is that all the copies of DuckTales have already sold out at his comic shop!  I think this is great news indeed and may show how important TPBs are to the future of Disney comics in North America (hint hint! and a little bit on that later in this message! :))

I have a question for Gary Leach, David Gerstein, and/or Travis Seitler:  Can you give us any hints about what we might expect from Gemstone in 2007?  Pretty please! :)  I realize though that it may be too early to give out hints and "reveal your hand".  The one thing I had heard is that you plan on producing a deluxe version of Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck with *all* of the chapters included.  Can you tell us any more plans past this?  Two rather more specific question.  One, is a Carl Barks library in a TPB format at least a twinkling in your eye yet?  I don't think I have to say how much fanfare and acclaim such a project would get.  Two, in 2007 or beyond is there a plan to publish TPBs on a regular basis.

I have long thought and have mentioned before on DCML how I think it would be great for Gemstone to aggressively pursue the market with a strong TPB presence.  While I love the 5 monthly Gemstone titles, I think they mainly are read by adult fans and are not gaining a lot of new readers (Of course I very much hope I am *wrong* about that!!!)  I really think with the success of manga and comics in TPB format, that the best way to reach a new audience and generation may be through TPBs.

The DuckTales volume has 144 pages and costs only $10.95.  What about the idea of producing on a regular basis (monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly) a TPB of the types of stories seen each month in Uncle Scrooge and WDC&S?  What I mean by that is that it could have some classic reprints by Barks, Paul Murry, Gottfredson, etc. and also have tons of new (to North America anyways) Duck and Mice stories.  Since I assume there would be more costs with the production of "new" stories, say you could produce a 144 pages volume for $14.95?  That may sound like a lot, but that is not much more than the combined cost of U$ and WDC&S each month *plus* you would get even more pages!  With such a volume you would also be very able to tap into the public library audience.  I know a few libraries carry DDA and MMA and U$ and WDC&S, but from what I can tell the format they *really* want is the TPB format.  Imagine how many new kids could be introduced to Disney comics if their public library bought such TPBs on a regular basis!  It could be the way to get the attention of Disney comics to a whole new generation of kids!

Of course, that is probably too optimistic.  However, I truly think there is great value for Gemstone to increasingly publish in the TPB format.  I would love to hear what anyone at Gemstone or anyone on the list thinks of this idea. And *any* hints about what to look forward to in 2007 and beyond would be *greatly* appreciated.  And if you can't give any hints, just makes sure the items you publish in 2007 blow our socks off! :)

Dean Rekich