Upcoming Gemstone titles and re-re-reprinting

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Fri Nov 17 18:26:34 CET 2006

Here's a reply to a message of last week that I overlooked because it was
"scrubbed". I don't know if it just me, but mostly I skip the scrubbed
messages. Daniel Neyer also has scrubbed emails, which I also often ignore.
A reason is that  the linked online scrubbed texts are often displayed in
one long unreadable sentence.
Can this problem be fixed? Either by the senders or by DCML?

RODNEY to DEANMARY, 08-11-2006:
> Since I do work in the paper industry, I feel that I can safely say that
> yes, paper prices ARE raising that much!However, I frankly have stopped
> buying the books monthly because I'm not satisfied with the quality of
> many of the newer stories.  At this point, if a book is published and it
> contains a re-re-reprint, but it's of a story that I've not read (like War
> Of the Wendigo)I'm going to gladly purchase it.  While I understand the
> point of your analogy to Fantastic Four, I don't think it quite works.
> Disney books are targeted more to a different audience.  There are still
> plenty of comic strips being presented in papers today, but there is a
> large audience for Fantagraphics' Complete Peanuts book, even though
> much of that material is indeed re-re-reprinted.  I think this is more
> along the lines of the audience that Gemstone is targeting with their
> books.Rodney

If Gemstone would decide to reprint facsimile-versions of old Barks stories,
then I would find their comics interesting. I wonder why editors want to
recolour old comics, even including rarities like 'Race to the South Seas'.
I've understood that a recent Gemstone-reprint of 'Race to the South Seas'
(in 'Disney Treasures') has been pasted together from several sources,
including art by Jippes. Personally I strongly dislike such a frauded
version. If 'Race to the South Seas' would have been colour-scanned from the
original give-away, I would have begged for a copy. In fact, I would have
ordered two or more.

So, my question is why Gemstone doesn't save costs and efforts by giving old
and new collectors the chance to read a Barks story as it has been first
published. This save costs, and it attracts readers.

Here's an example of a page scanned from an original Barks publication of
WDC 75, page 4:
http://img.mcduck.nl/strip/W+WDC++75-01_06.jpg
The colouring looks good to me. Better than a lot of recent colouring. I've
understood the give-away stories have the same clear quality.
Why would an editor want to chop this to pieces for a reprint?

Daniël