Richest and Youth Reading

JTorci3511 at aol.com JTorci3511 at aol.com
Fri Dec 21 13:06:02 CET 2007

Everyone:

Don Markstein writes:

> Forbes Magazine declare Scrooge  the richest fictional character. He
> beat Richie Rich, Ming the  Merciless, Mr. Burns, Bruce Wayne, Tony
> Shark and Willy  Wonka.

"I've heard this before. Where do you suppose the clowns got  their data?"

I dunno but, if they rank Scrooge ahead of Richie Rich, they're probably  not
clowns!  :-)

Of course, ya gotta feel for poor Flintheart Glomgold not making the list  AT
ALL!  Though I guess he still qualifies as the "Second Richest  DUCK"!

Further, you've got to wonder where the "other pretenders to Scrooge's
throne" like Rockerduck, Gotrocks, etc. fall... probably WAAAAY down there  behind
FAMILY GUY'S Carter Pewterschmidt, TINY TOONS' Montana Max... and even  Fred
Flintstone's rich uncle from "Texa-rock"!  How sad for them!

Then, Leo Schulte writes of his experience in introducing one of the
greatest comic book stories of all time to a class of young people.

"What was disconcerting was the large minority of students who could  not
follow what was happening.  I had some wrinkled faces and noses: "It  got
boring, and I couldn't follow it."  "I don't know, it didn't seem to  make
any sense."

"When pressed about what specifically was "boring" or  what "didn't make
any sense" they of course were inarticulate, and usually  just shrugged."

Moving into Curmudgeon Mode:

Sadly, there probably weren't enough electronics, lights, and annoyingly
useless sound to keep them amused.  There must be SOME REASON Gemstone's  readers
are mostly -- if not ALL -- adults, and this may be it.   Alas.

Happy Holidays to my friends, worldwide!

Joe Torcivia