A few Gemstone comments and questions

deanmary deanmary at zoominternet.net
Fri Jun 8 22:41:29 CEST 2007

First off, congratulations to Gemstone and the Gemstone creators for so many 2007 Harvey nominees!!!  I must admit that I was surprised, but *thrilled* that Gemstone got as much recognition as it did!  It is not that I think Gemstone is unworthy of such acclaim, it is simply that I am not used to it!  So perhaps these nominations (and hopefully a few wins!) will get Gemstone more attention which it rightly deserves! Plus, since it is held at the Baltimore Comic-Con, if Don wins any awards he will be right there to accept them!

A few quick questions for anyone at Gemstone.  One, why did you change the inside front cover of US and WDC&S to only contain the contents of this issue plus a preview of the next issues?  I must say that I really miss hearing John Clark's comments on what was in the issue or any other Disney comics related subjects.  While this is a very minor issue, count me down for bringing the inside front covers back to the way they were.

Two, are we going to continue for a long time to see 3 rows for page stories that I assume were planned for DDA and MMA before they were cancelled?  While I do miss DDA and MMA, I must admit that I didn't enjoy these stories as much as the more "traditional" ones we normally sees in Gemstone titles.  Is this a case of printing stories that were already prepared before DDA and MMA were cancelled?  If so, I can understand that.  However, once these stories have been printed, I hope we do not see more of them in the years to come in US and WDC&S.  With only 128 pages a month now, I think Gemstone should focus on printing the best of the best, and in my humble opinion, most of the 3 panel stories are not at that level. What do other list members think about this. Of course, this does not include some classic stories by creators such as Scarpa and others.  I was very happy to see "The Great Gawrsh-Durn Champion" by Scarpa in the latest issue of WDC&S, and hope to see a lot more Scarpa in the months and years to come.

Three, are there any updates about the future of Gemstone in 2008 and beyond?  I am sure I not the only one who misses getting  5 Gemstone comics each month! :(  I am hoping that 2007 is a transition year for Gemstone and that Gemstone will print many more stories, pages, publications, etc. in 2008 than it did in 2007.  Is a B/W "Shonen Jump" style title still being considered? (a great place for stories that used to be printed in MMA and DDA).  Will there be more than 2 TPBs by Gemstone in 2008?  Any chance of a Barks or Rosa TPB library? Is there any consideration to starting a third monthly prestige title comic in 2008?  Please!!! :)

Whatever anyone at Gemstone can answer no matter how little or small would be greatly appreciated.  I truly enjoy my Gemstone comics each and every month -- I just wish there was more to enjoy each month, and hopefully 2008 will bring it!

Dean Rekich