DCML Digest, Vol 52, Issue 26

Joseph Farrell jlfarr495 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 29 14:19:35 CEST 2007

With respect to your final comment, I believe that the
Bugs Bunny "Showtime" title might have been an
exception to the general arbitrariness of the various
Bandwagons, Parades, etc. I was a reader of most of
these Dell Giants in the early 60's, and I remember
recognizing Showtime as a reflection of the weekly
Bugs Bunny Show that ran on U.S. primetime television
beginning in 1960. Those programs were characterized
by a new "Showtime" framing sequence built around
older theatrical Warner cartoons. Bugs and his fellow
cartoon characters would appear on a stage at the
beginning of each show and "perform" the production
number "On With the Show". I expect that the Showtime
comics were designed to remind readers of that
program.

Joe Farrell