Oswald outside the United States (slightly OT)

David Gerstein ramapith at verizon.net
Thu May 10 05:25:17 CEST 2007

Hey all—

As some of you may know, one of my hobbies outside my Gemstone work
is researching Disney's silent period— the precomics days, with
Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

These days I'm attempting to chronicle information about the Oswald
films' appearance outside of the United States in the 1920s. Thanks
to the great German reference IM REICH DER MICKY MAUS, by Dreßler and
Storm, I have the relevant information for Germany. But who released
them in Italy, Brazil, Britain, Mexico, Finland, France, Poland,
Holland and so forth?
Nearly half of the Disney Oswald films are missing today, so knowing
their history "abroad" would be useful in tracking down actual prints
of the others.
But there's a difficulty: it would help to know what the individual
cartoons were named in various foreign languages, as well as what
Oswald himself was called. In many countries, Oswald had one name in
the old days and another name now. For example, in Germany, he is
referred to today as "Oswald, der lustige Hase" (Oswald, the funny
hare). But I don't want to know what he's called now; in 1928, his
name was "Oswald, der verrückte Karnickel" (Oswald, the crazy
rabbit). In some countries, his original name may not even have been
Oswald.

I suspect that many countries have local Disney history books that
are their equivalent of IM REICH, and that these books might say
something about the Oswald cartoons' local titles and release
history. Might anyone be able to give me some pointers?
Thus far I only know a little—

Germany: Oswald der verrückte Karnickel, distr. Matador Filmverleih
Netherlands: Oswald, distr. ?

Feel free to contact me privately. Anyone whose information I can
make use of in my research will be properly credited, natch!

David Gerstein