DCML Digest, Vol 60, Issue 9

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Fri Feb 15 14:54:52 CET 2008

From: olaf.solstrand at andebyonline.com

That's because you're a Barks scholar, plus you know my work and my usual
intentions and methods. You're NOT the average reader of the weekly to whom
I refer,  which the editors themselves believe to be all 7-year-olds...
whatever their age, they certainly don't have your detailed knowledge of
$crooge's history and can't read my mind.
I'm referring to the average young or casual reader who does NOT know the
entire history of Barks' $crooge... who may only know the few Barks reprints
in the weekly from the past year or so. They would have had no idea what the
various background scenes relate to, neither the exact story or even the
reason it's included. A title on the poster and a small list of the featured
Barks stories on some other page was needed... otherwise that majority of
the readership couldn't have a clue what I was doing.
As for the "DUCKHUNT SPOILER"... what else can I do? Readers want them so
ECN requests them. They are meant to appear on another page and can be
ignored until wanted. I can't give them "in the next issue" as I have NO
control over such editorial matters (obviously). But I absolutely AGREE! The
DUCKHUNT SPOILER, like the detailed texts, was/is NOT an element that was
needed for the posters to make sense to readers.
Actually, I even made the suggestion that the posters be used as part of a
contest for readers to name all the "mystery scenes"... but I have no reason
to believe any publishers did that. And yes, several publishers did know to
include the titles & lists and even the texts on other pages in the poster
issues...