Parents In Space!

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Tue Oct 7 22:07:59 CEST 2008

Elaine,

> (My godson at age 10 wanted the parents to have had to go into
> outer space
> for some reason to save the world; this plot similarly keeps them
> alive in a
> place where no contact was possible.

When I was 10 I would have thought that was the coolest idea in the
world! The US space program was in high gear, shifting from Gemini to
Apollo with every kid on the block aching to see if we'd really make
it to the Moon in the time Kennedy promised. And with Duckburg so
plainly ahead of the rest of the world in space technology - for me,
Island In the Sky was as legitimate a story as any of the others by
that "good Duck artist", and still is - having the nephews' parents
out there doing grand things in the Final Frontier would have been a
great basis for a whole series of stories.

Funny thing, though, I never thought of it as a possibility back
then. It just never, ever occurred to me. Hmph!

Gary