Hewey, Lewey, Dewey, and their parents

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at alumni.princeton.edu
Tue Sep 30 13:50:50 CEST 2008

> siblings of one family have often married siblings of another.
> this was very common up to around 100 years ago.
> You dont hear a lot about it nowdays, but it still happens.
>
> are there laws against this in Europe??

There are in Greece, where there is no distinction between blood relatives and
relatives by marriage. Siblings cannot marry siblings, unless they do so at
the same time. (From what I've read, this loophole was developed by queen
Amalia in the 19th century, so the rule used to be even stricter in older days.)
--
	Kriton.
-----