Disney comic books USA

SRoweCanoe at aol.com SRoweCanoe at aol.com
Wed Apr 1 12:45:21 CEST 2009

The US marketplace is pretty much divided into three different groups

comic book stores - sell mostly superheroes
book stores - sell Japanese translations of comics for kids, and young
women.  The last Disney comics Ive seen in book stores were those Viz  Disney
comics (Hannah Montanna, etc).  book stores also sell superheroes  and other genre
- but magna seems to be the bigger seller.
newstands and misc (grocery stores etc) - limited comics, at one time  Archie
digests were the better selling items, but this dried up 3-4 years  ago.
mostdrug stores,etc  sell no comics, some sell a small  handfull.

while I heard Gemstone was attempting other venues, Ive only seen them in
comic book stores (and in the last few years - only as pre-order in comic book
store catalogs).
 When the Disney Adventures Digest went under a bit back, I was
understanding that sales were still good - just not enough ads to make it as  profitable
as they would like.  anybody know for sure?

I'm not sure what I would do to try to sell Disney Comics, as it would seem
hard to break into any of those three markets; so somebody would need deep
pockets to even try.

Steven Rowe