Globality and Translations

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Wed Feb 25 01:25:47 CET 2009

John wrote:

> In the early days of Gladstone, the editor would often see great
> art for European stories; order the art from Egmont or one of the
> other licensees and then receive the translations only to see that
> the stories were less than wonderful. (Or so I've been told.) Since
> Gladstone couldn't afford not to use the art, the stories were
> rewritten.

Stories ordered by Gladstone were indeed chosen on the basis of their
visual quality. And all too often the English dialogue that came with
them read, especially in the early days, like something a five-year-
old would considered clumsy and unsophisticated. Whatever the reason
for that, we were not about to publish those stories verbatim.
Moreover, and what should be no surprise to anyone here, Gladstone
had standards based on the narrative skills of Carl Barks. However
unattainable those standards may have been, the rewriters knew that's
what they were shooting for and in fact wanted to shoot for,
constrained only by the parameters of stories' visuals.

Gary