Globality and Translations

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Wed Feb 25 22:12:51 CET 2009

Kriton:

>> However unattainable those standards may have been, the rewriters
>> knew that's what they were shooting for and in fact wanted to
>> shoot for, constrained only by the parameters of stories' visuals.
>
> Does this mean that they produced scripts that matched the visuals,
> but did not necessarily have anything to do with the original
> story, i.e., something like what Woody Allen did in "What's Up
> Tiger Lily?"

This did happen on occasion. I remember one DuckTales story I rewrote
that I just had to refurbish. The art was such that I was able to
recast the "villain" of the piece and change his motivation, which
amounted to giving him a motivation in the first place. The original
verbiage made the character out as nothing more than an inexplicable
idiot.

Gary