Working With Disney

Leo Schulte schulte at teacher.com
Sat Mar 28 13:11:27 CET 2009

Greetings!

Rick Engle wrote concerning licensing:

 "I get the feeling that Disney does not make this easy.   So you really think that this time there is no chance for a return?"

Your feeling is quite right, at least according to a contact of mine in the toy-and-entertainment business in California: dealing with Disney is seen as a Kafkaesque nightmare.  It almost seems that they do not want to license their characters, because of all the hassles they throw at a company.

This is contact in fact is looking into the possibility of obtaining the license, but is not very enthusiastic unless Disney changes their attitude.

It was not always this way: I recall hearing Walt Disney explain in an interview how the first Mickey Mouse license came about.  A toymaker came to him and said he wanted to use Mickey Mouse as the basis for a toy, and how they could both benefit, since the toy would promote the character, and the character would over time promote the toy.  Walt said this sounded like a great a idea: how much would he have to pay to the toymaker for this?  The other man laughed and said Walt did not quite understand: he would be paying Disney for the rights!  (Such honesty in the good old days!)  Walt said that sounded even better!

Best Wishes!

L. Schulte

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!