Crown of the Crusader Kings Question...

Joseph Adorno joemcduck79 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 7 16:18:47 CET 2011

The jewel-encrusted falcon that Donald is dusting in Crown of the Crusader Kings is indeed The Maltese Falcon of Dashiell Hammett's novel and the 1941 film adaptation. In the film, the falcon turned out to be a fake copy, but here we see what it should have looked like when the black enamel was removed. Nice inside joke, or maybe a reference to the greatest Uncle Scrooge story never told...;)

Incidently, I find it odd that the Sydney Greenstreet character thought all he needed to do was scrape the enamel away with a common pen knife - wouldn't that knife have done damaged to the gold and jewels? Scrape,scrape,scrape.

Film/Television references appear often in Don Rosa stories. Citizen Kane, Frank Capra movies, Jimmy Stewart westerns, even kid shows like Marvin Monkey and Talespin. No video games, though...:) You'd think Don would sneak in a Pac-Man or Donkey Kong reference - or the Duck Tales video game, since that appears to exist there as an unauthorized bio of Scrooge.

Joseph Adorno

http://www.comicbookrehab.blogspot.com

http://www.twitter.com/comicbookrehab