Spielberg, Tintin and Barks

Olivier mouse-ducks at orange.fr
Sun Oct 30 14:32:42 CET 2011

Since the movie will not be released in the USA until December, I will keep
this message spoiler-free, though it might be simpler for anyone who wants
to preserve the surprises not to read any message related to this.

In any case, there is not much description needed.

Has anyone who has seen the movie (I’m just back from it—and lunch) thought
like me that one of the final scenes was reminiscent of a very famous scene
in one of  Barks’ classic stories?

Could it really be a coincidence, or was Spielberg inspired by Barks again?

Granted, Barks himself  once said (or wrote? I don’t remember) that the gag
was a rather “obvious” one that other cartoonists had thought of as well,
but if  Spielberg got the idea from somewhere, I would bet on Barks rather
than any other source.

I loved the movie (and am now listening to John Williams’ score again—I
received it yesterday).

Elements from the two stories that inspired it was nicely meshed together,
and the characters were wonderfully adapted into 3D.

The homage to Hergé (in the very first scene) was nice.

It is of course a pity that the shark submarine and Tryphon Tournesol
(Professor Calculus) were not introduced, but it’s a decision that makes a
lot of  sense, as this whole plot requires a lot of  time to tell, only to
end in failure.

Changing the villains from the antiquarian brothers to a modified version of
a character featured in the album was clever and worked well—and it seems
surprisingly obvious when you compare this character with Red Rackham.

I can’t wait to see Jackson’s The Seven Crystal Balls / Prisoners of the
Sun.

All the best to you all,

Olivier