The Missing Comic Page

Cato Elder cato at rock.com
Mon Jul 9 03:03:58 CEST 2012

Greetings to Everyone!

In answer to Nils, it was only a matter of time before the Frenchman's
Disney Comic Page was taken down.  Despite the work he had put into it,
he had not paid for the right to use those stories, even in a non-profit
fashion.

I agree that - perhaps - Disney or BOOM or Gladstone or whoever should
have looked the other way and considered the page a way to keep the
characters alive, especially since there is no comic publishing of The
Duckburg Universe right now in America.

The first principle of Economics is that - despite what some radicals
think - nothing is free.   If you created a comic book, and somebody else
appropriated it, profited from it without giving you proper payment, you
would consider it theft.

Theft of intellectual property by certain countries, in some cases
supported by a government, is one of the largest problems of our age.

So if Disney or one of the publishing companies complained, it is their
right to do so.

On this topic: is it not time for Disney and the publishers to consider
e-book versions of the Barks/Rosa/Van Horn/Jippes/Gottfredson/etc.
stories?  And to start publishing new stories by worthy authors for
e-books?  We have talked about this before, when Gladstone went out of
business.

The Wall Street Journal from July 7/8 , 2012 has an article about
e-comics:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304211804577503192575291320.html?KEYWORDS=comics

Best Wishes to all!

L. S.

--
You Rock! Your E-Mail Should Too! Signup Now at Rock.com and get 4GB of Storage!

http://connections.rock.com/user/displayUserRegisterPage.kickAction?as=116748&STATUS=MAIN