Andrew Lloyd Webfoot

Lawrence Giver lgiver at pacbell.net
Sun Mar 18 09:33:34 CET 2012

	This past week here in California the PBS TV stations have presented multiple showings of "The Phantom of the Opera" for fundraising purposes.  The composer was Andrew Lloyd Webber.  The phantom usually wears a half mask, but in one act of this production he had a black cape over his head and body, thus looking much like Mickey Mouse's adversary, the Phantom Blot.
	I like to re-read an old comic book story before going to sleep to relax my mind.  A few nights ago I read Scarpa's "The McDuck Foundation" in Gladstone's US #241, February 1990.  Having just seen Andrew Lloyd Webber and "the Phantom of the Opera" on TV, I was much amused to see Scrooge say "Any sap can.....finance Andrew Lloyd Webfoot's latest musical" on page 6, panel 5.     When I bought and first read this comic, I had no idea what this dialogue was referring to.
	This story by Scarpa was first printed in 1958 in Italian, when Andrew Lloyd Webber was only 10 years old.  So this dialogue could not have been in the original.  This and other little gems throughout this translated reprint must have been added by Geoff Blum; the credits say "Dialogue Americanized by Geoff Blum."