A strange panel

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at talent.gr
Sat Aug 9 07:33:18 CEST 2014

It was just pointed out to me that in the upcoming Vol.1 of Fantagraphics'
"The Don Rosa Library", there is a panel with a sign written in Greek!

Check the first panel of page 16 of the album in the preview in
http://www.fantagraphics.com/sonofthesun . You'll need to view in full screen
mode or download the PDF.

The sign on the Maya crown says "ΣΤΕΜΜΑ ΜΑΓΙΑ", which I'll transcribe as
"STEMMA MAGIA", in case Unicode does not appear correctly in the list. This is
Greek for "Maya crown". The sign in Don's original drawing said "hands off!",
while the Greek sign seems to be taken from VK 1; the letters in the other
Greek edition, KX 89, seem to be larger. (Check the last three scans in this
blog entry: http://wp.me/Kxow .)

It seems that the Fantagraphics edition uses the drawings from the Greek
edition, combined with Don's original lettering, which sounds strange. Does
any one know what really happened? Could this simply be some kind of easter egg?

	Kriton.
-----
"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion
  with confidence."
-----