Format and schedule change for Donald Duck Weekly, Norway

Erlend Vold Enget, Natur og viten as erlend at naturogviten.no
Fri Apr 24 13:07:10 CEST 2015

Kriton:

My family and I are going back to our dear Crete in August, so I hope to be able to pick up another copy of your Disney comics!

Yes, you´re right: Egmont Kids Nordic now submit Donald Duck & Co weekly to all subscribers, but to newsstands only bi-weekly. This change is, they says, a bonus to honor the subscribers constituting 7 out of 10 sold issues of the comic book. I clearly see distribution expences, and the fact that subscribers already have paid the price, and those copies are sold copies.

The numbering system has been changed, too. Instead of «Number» they´re now using «Week» followed by the week number. Each newsstand issue is on display for the next two weeks. In the USA, Christmas editions will typically enter newsstands in October, allowing an even longer sales period.

Consequences are, however, continuous stories, like Murry´s three part Mickey And Goofy stories, are canceled. I still find it possible to run such stories for the subscribers. Comics and Stories in the USA, issued only monthly, ran those stories, so I´ll ask Egmont to consider that, among a handful other suggestions.

Don´t ask me why they run a full-scale barcode in the lower left end of the covers of the subscribers´only issues… That seems very weird to me! If I´m not wrong Egmont Ehapa in Germany have put the barcodes on the back cover.

For the Greek comics, I find it strange they´re not only changing format, but also stretching the contents. What does Disney think about that? Not even the Yugoslavian editions had such errors, despite printing quality was worse than the analog tv signals we grew up watching in the 70´s and 80´s! They haven´t stretched the contents in Norway. The only thing that has happened is that there´s more white space either on top or bottom of the pages. And the advertisements might sell for a bit more.

Still eager for some Scandinavians to stand up and enlighten me on this topic.

Erlend Vold Enget