Grandma Duck is the mother of Donald

Pim Heeman phm at inducks.org
Tue May 15 11:57:04 CEST 2018

> I invented this theory from the facts that,
> first of all, Grandma Duck is the sister of Uncle Scrooge.

> But, Grandma Duck is *not* the sister of Scrooge McDuck. A look at the
Duck
> Family Tree by Don Rosa will confirm this, *and* that Grandma Duck is
> Donald's grandmother.

The Dutch editor made up the family relationship between Scrooge and Grandma
Duck as brother-sister relationship. The Dutch name of Dumbella Duck in Life
of Scrooge is even 'Doortje', an alternative form of the Dutch name of
Grandma Duck, 'Dora', since the editors thought that Dumbella was the sister
of Scrooge! Despite that, in a weekly of this year, Grandma still calls
Scrooge 'broerlief' (= 'dear brother').

> Secondly, in her
> second comic on which she was first seen in flesh and blood. * Donald says
> that grandmother comes, when he tells the nephews that grandmother is
> coming, he probably means that his grandmother is his mother.
> * This sentence may have been confused by you, but I meant: YD 43-09-27.

As far as I know, Donald never says literally inside the first daily, of 27
September 1943, that Grandma Duck is coming. The nephews start talking about
"gran'ma", and Donald says to his nephews they have to wash themselves.

> Also in
> another comic of Al Taliaferro she [Grandma Duck] says son to Donald. In
Donald's Grandma
> Duck the cousins also say when they come: "Grandma".

In English, you can say 'son' to a younger person to reflect age difference.
The nephews (not cousins...) might say 'grandma' to Grandma Duck, simply
because it is easier to say than great-grandmother (Rosa made a joke about
this in W.H.A.D.A.L.O.T.T.A.J.A.R.G.O.N.).

> Who agrees that the theory is correct that Grandma Duck is the mother of
> Donald and not the grandmother.

So, to answer your question: not me, based on your information.

Pim Heeman