Barks's oil paintings

Per Starb{ck starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Fri Aug 28 00:18:06 CEST 1992

Harry:
> In this mail you find a list of Barks oil paintings. I got this list from
> the book 'The fine art of Carl Barks' (or so). I have seen the book once,
> and the owner gave me a copy of the index.

Ah, I wish I had that book!  (BTW I think the title is _The Fine Art
of Walt Disney's Donald Duck by Carl Barks_.  I will henceforth call
it "the oil painting book".)  There were some rumors that a new cheap
edition of it would eventually appear, just like _Uncle Scrooge McDuck
His Life And Times_ got one.  Does anyone know if there's some truth
to that rumor, or if there at least still is such a rumor. :-)

> Explanation of the columns:
> Nr:
>    number, just telling the order in which Barks made the paintings.

So this is not the "plate number" in the oil painting book?  I think
it would be easier to identify some of the paintings if you gave those
numbers, as they are sometimes referred to.

> As you can see, some information is missing, mostly about these AR paintings.
> So, my question: can anyone give me the information to complete the list?

You could get miniature versions of the paintings that AR made
lithographs of, just by writing AR and asking for them.  I have mine
in a folder somewhere, perhaps together with some other info on the
oils, but I can't find it right now.  I don't think I had much there,
but it's irritating all the same.  What I did find is "The Well
Wrought Oil" by John Garvin in "The Barks Collector" #39-42, according
to which the oils they made lithographs from are

 1. Sailing the Spanish Main
 2. An Embarrassment of Riches
 3. Till Death Do Us Part
 4. A 1934 Belchfire Runabout
 5. In Uncle Walt's Collectery
 6. Return to Morgan's Island
 7. Afoul of the Flying Dutchman
 8. Dam Disaster at Money Lake
 9. Dubious Ducks at Dismal Downs
10. First National Bank of Cibola
11. Trespassers Will Be Ventilated
12. The Makings of a Fish Story
13. Return to Plain Awful

(But they have made more, after that, haven't they?)
Short descriptions of those not in your list:

10: P  Scene US 7a (Cibola)
11: L  Scene USOS 456 (Klondike) Goldie and Black Jack surprise US, DD & HDL
12: P  The Ducks examine treasure under the sea.  Mermaids come from behind.
(Or is that one the "no one will ever believe this" in your list?)
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"